Thursday, October 7, 2010

Edward

Well, I don't really even know what to say about this poem. I was really confused a lot of the time. First of all I really disliked the repetition. That stupid "O, Mother, Edward, Mother, O" crap was driving me nuts and keeping me from concentrating. In addition to the repetition (haha that rhymed) I was completely thrown off by the mention of the hawk and the steed. After I read through the poem once I felt like I had a grasp of the main idea: This Edward fellow killed his father and his mother knows about it and possibly convinced him to do so. That much I understood; however, I really didn't see the significance of the first two and a half stanzas. And although I feel like I understand what actually happened/ took place within the poem, I feel like I'm missing a lot of background information. If the author had implied why Edward chose to kill his father than I missed that completely- and I feel like that is something that should be mentioned. I thought the overall tone of the poem was creepy and sinister. The mention of blood several times was creepy- but I also thought the mother seemed really creepy too. I don't know if she influenced Edward to kill his father, but she seemed pretty content with the fact that he did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment