Thursday, December 2, 2010

You're Ugly Too

In class Mr. Costello asked us to consider whether or not we liked Zoe as a person. I thought back to initial read and I remember feeling somewhat sorry for her at first. One fear I think a lot of people have (at least I do) is that they won't get married. With that in mind, I had a lot of pity for Zoe because she had a lot of bad luck with men and her younger sister on the other hand seemed to be doing much better. Also, I felt pity for her in respect to how her students felt about her, "...her student evaluations had been slipping the past year and a half.." It really seemed like nothing was going her way. But then I kept reading and realized that just maybe it was her own fault. I'm not really surprised that she had trouble with dating. However, I found it somewhat surprising that the men she dated were the reason (as opposed to herself) why the relationship didn't last. This was surprising to me because honestly, how many men would find a woman attractive that responds to the question "what perfume are you wearing?" saying "room freshener." In addition to that, she has just an odd sense of humor. If someone were to pretend to push me off a ledge 20 stories high I don't think I would find that very funny. Zoe is just a weird person, and no matter how much pity I have on her for her lonely and cynical life, I just really don't like her. Her character is just a little too over the top for me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. They even mention a time where she was more polite to her students, would offer to help, etc. But now, any question they have seems to be met with sarcasm and insults

    ReplyDelete