Thursday, January 27, 2011

#5. As we discussed in class, there are several themes that are presented in this play. My group was given the theme "Jealousy is a dangerous and often destructive force" .. or something along those lines anyways. Though the other ones were probably important, I felt that this one was most fitting (and to be honest I really don't remember the others anyways). The whole plot of this play is centered around the jealousy of one person, Iago. By the end of the story Iago hopes to kill two people: Cassio- because he received Iago's desired position, and Othello- because he is insecure and thinks he is sleeping with Emilia (which I don't know why he even really cares because he is a jerk to her) and because Othello purposefully appointed Cassio as lieutenant. Even though Roderigo does attempt to kill Cassio, and it seems like he causes a great deal of the action in the story, Roderigo only acts in response to what Iago tells him to do. Iago is like a puppeteer, he controls everything that takes place within the story- especially the actions of Roderigo, Emilia, and Othello. I think that this theme has a major impact on the play- I wouldn't necessarily call it a positive impact because the result is everyone dying, but it is a significant impact. If Iago weren't moved by jealousy so much, I don't think any of this would have occurred. Most of these feelings are expressed right away, in the first scene of act one when Iago says "Oh, sir, content you, I follow him to serve my turn upon him." I.i.41-42. Iago goes on to say in the following lines that he hates Othello. He plans to get close to Othello (and Cassio, though he doesn't directly say it) and act as if he is his close friend. He wants to earn Othello's trust so that way he can manipulate him without ever being suspected.

No comments:

Post a Comment