Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happily Never After

I really did like reading Othello in class except I hate when the main characters die! It's really depressing. I think what is worse is the fact that Iago, the main cause of all of the conflicts, doesn't die. So, just a few comments about the play in general... I liked it, but I thought it was weird that all of the action took place in the very last scene. I'm not sure whether or not this had a more negative or positive effect on the overall view of the play. I thought that maybe some people would be less attracted to the play because it wasn't as exciting or thrilling as some others. However, I think saving all of the action definitely created suspense. This was even more effective because The audience can't see what is going on in Othello's head- they know that he is upset, but his plans on killing Desdemona weren't really made clear until he actually did so. Another thing I liked about the play was Desdemona's death scene. I think that it really spoke to her character that she remained loyal to Othello, even until death. in Act V scene ii lines 122-123 Emilia asks "Oh, who hath done this deed?" and Desdemona responds, protecting Othello by saying "Nobody, I myself. Farewell. Commend me to my kind Lord." Obviously, Desdemona was a true and honest wife, even until the end. One other random thing that stuck out to me when reading Act V was when Othello says (V.ii.346-347) "Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away Richer than all his tribe"- This reminded me of good 'ole John Steinbeck. I dont know whether there is actually any relation between the two works or not, but this line does seem like the story line of The Pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment