Monday, February 28, 2011

A Raisin in the Sun.. take two.

So... characterization time? I think yes.
Okay, Mama. I'm gonna be real honest, I was really disappointed when Mr. Costello said she was played by Phylicia Rashad- I envisioned more of the Martin Lawrence "Big Mama's House" type of gal. But anyways... Mama is my favorite character throughout the whole story. She is honest and sympathetic. She knows her place in the world, "We Just Plain Working folks (pg 42)." However she still has dreams of moving into a nicer home. Mama is selfless because even after she is advised to spend her husband's money on herself, she gives it to her children to decide what to do with it (big mistake).
Ruth- Well, I don't think there is much to say about Ruth. She is the typical hard-working and unappreciated house wife. Sometimes she comes off as a little bit strict- but she has to when she is married to such an irresponsible man (typical).
Beneatha- I am confused by this lady! One minute I think she is trying to break out of the colored people stereotype getting herself a fancy education and whatnot, but then the next minute she goes all Wangero on us (yep, look at me making all these literature connections! from the short story Everyday Use... in case you didn't pick up on that one). I mean who the heck is Alaiyo anyways?
Walter- hmm.. I don't think selfish would fully suffice. Really, if he had just let Beneaha use the money on schooling, the whole family would have been better off. Walter is just the typical man.. He insults his wife when trying to give her a compliment (again, typical man), he tries to look all tough and noble for his son by giving out money that he clearly doesn't have, and he tries to be the hero in the story- which turns out to be a disaster.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot Travis. Well... He's eleven and pretty much oblivious to the conflicts within the family. Travis recognizes the family's financial struggles though and is slightly embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment