Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Anecdote

So before reading through my AP Lit Terms I really had no idea what the definition for anecdote was. The definition i was provided with states that it is a short story used to describe the character of a person. Once I read that i felt that it really seemed to tie in with chapter 2 (pgs 26-29). This chapter entitled "Love" describes a specific moment in Jimmy Cross' life when he was in love with Martha. The reason I felt this chapter was an anecdote was because it really helped me to understand Jimmy Cross more as a character. In chapter one Jimmy Cross is portrayed as a man hurting from unrequited love but in chapter 2 the reader really understands why. This chapter made me feel sympathetic towards Lt. Cross as well as baffled as to why he was still in love. It had been years since he had seen her, and she obviously did not share the same feeling as him. pg 27 "Nothing had changed. He still loved her." With chapter 2 acting as an anecdote, I was able to see deeper into the life and love of Lt. Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment