Thursday, July 8, 2010

Paradox

A paradox is defined as a seeming contradiction. When looking over my terms list i thought that it would be extremely difficult to find an example of a paradox within the pages of this novel. On page 78 however I was able to detect one that really stuck with me. O'Brien states, "Though it's odd, you're never more alive than when you're almost dead." I immediately recognized the truth in that statement. It seems like when we look at life and believe we have all the time in the world, we tend to put things off. On the other hand, when an individual believes their time is limited, they tend to live life to the fullest. You appreciate the things you have a little bit more once you realize that you won't always have them. I guess that's how life must be for many ment in the war. They recognize the fact that they aren't invincible and thank God for what they have been given- atleast that's the way i would look at things.

1 comment: