Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How I met My Husband

This story was kind of cute and annoying at the same time. I really disliked the authors organization/structure in this story. This story jumped around way too much. At every new paragraph i felt completely thrown off. Line 80 for example starts with "The yard and borders didn't get trampled, it wasn't as bad as that." This line really comes out of nowhere and doesn't even seem like a complete thought to me. I had to do a double take the first time I read this to stop and think "okay, we are shifting thoughts now". I felt like I was doing that a lot throughout the story which is weird because unlike "A Rose for Emily" the whole story is in chronological order. Another thing that I disliked about this story was the syntax. Some sentences (like the one previously mentioned) didn't seem like complete thoughts to me. On the other hand, a great number of the sentences seemed like run-ons.. for example at the bottom of page 146 "So I said yes, and I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him, and we were engaged a year more while I got my things together and then we did marry." Not only is this sentence really long, but it has a lot of information in it. I just think it is weird that the speaker spends the whole story talking about the few encounters she has with this one man but then only dedicates a paragraph to her husband- most of which is summed up in this one sentence. Personally, if I were her husband I would be rather insulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment