Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Rose For Emily

Alright, this story is right up there on the creepy factor with the poem "Edward". Also what struck me about the story was the unique structure. I felt like the story really didn't flow very well but the author did make an attempt to put it in some kind of order. The whole story is basically like a flashback or a retelling of events that happened in the past. I noticed a lot of the paragraphs started with phrases such as "the next day.." "when..." "the day after.." "So the next night.." etc. To me it seems like the author was trying to progress the story as well as give the reader a heads up that time was passing. I didn't really like that because it felt like nothing in the story really flowed or blended together.
One of the questions at the end of the unit in the book was "Compare the effectiveness of first-person in any of the following stories". I think that the use of first person is really helpful in this story because it helps the reader understand the story a little better. As I was reading the story I obviously thought the woman was crazy, but because the speaker describes the pity and sorrow the community felt for her I could understand more why no one ever really tried to bother her or question her about the smell coming from her house (although they should have since a dead body was rotting away). Over all, creepy story.

No comments:

Post a Comment