Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Everyday Use

Alright, so this story just made me mad. It sort of reminded me of my sister and I. Dee reminds me a lot of my sister because she is sort of distanced from the family (Now even more so because she is at Purdue). It seems like while Dee was growing up she was constantly spending more time and energy focusing on friendships rather than her family. My sister was the same way. On the other hand Maggie seemed to know more about the family history and everything that went on. A good example of this can be found around paragraph 52 when Maggie remembers Uncle Henry (dash). I really felt like Dee was a selfish character because she wanted all of the family heirlooms. And although she claimed they had sentimental value, it is obvious that she barely knows anything about the items she wants. Clearly she just wanted them for show- like everything else she wanted. I think she is very materialistic which clearly contrasts with her mother and younger sister. Dee changes her name to Wangero, admits that she will not bring friends to the house, and takes family heirlooms all to impress others (esp. her uptight husband who thinks he is too good to eat collards or pork).

No comments:

Post a Comment