Thursday, September 9, 2010

After Apple Picking

So I'm not completely sure if I fully understood what this poem meant. I thought the poem was about a person who has died. Their life therefore is being described as apple-picking. The first line, "My long two-pointed ladder's sticking thorough a tree Toward heaven still And there's a barrel that I didn't fill Beside it, and there may be two or three Apples I didn't pick upon some bough". I thought this meant that the speaker was going up to heaven- like walking up the ladder. He stops and thinks about his life and how it is incomplete: "barrel that i didn't fill". And the next part "and there may be two or three Apples..." I took to mean that there were still a few people he hadn't forgiven in his life that he wanted to before he died. More support I found within the poem are the phrases "Long sleep" and "But I am done with apple-picking now." I thought both of these symbolized death. (question 12) I thought the whole poem was an allegory- the speaker is dead and on his way to heaven. He is looking back and his life at all the things he didn't get the chance to make right or finish. The title "After Apple-Picking" I feel could be interpreted as "After Living" because essentially the poem is about how one feels about their life once they are dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment