Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bright Star

In response to question 2, the speaker is obviously speaking directly to the star. This literary technique is called an apostrophe. The speaker in this case is a man (we can assume this from line 10 when he says "pillowed upon my love's ripening breast"). To be honest, I didn't completely understand the message of the poem until we discussed it in a large group. This is because I found it to be too contradictory. I could not decide whether the speaker admired the poem- such as in line 1 "Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art-" or if he did not want to be like the star - such as in line 2 "Not in lone splendor hung aloft the night,". It wasn't until we discussed the poem as a class that I accepted the idea that the speaker really meant both of these things. In my initial reading however I did note several words that I thought really contributed to the theme of the poem. The speaker uses several words which have similar meanings: "steadfast (2x), eternal, sleepless, unchangeable, forever(2x), still (2x), and so live ever" I thought all of these words/ phrases had a specific reason for being in the poem. Obviously the speaker wanted to be with his fair love forever- I just couldn't really relate this idea to star until we put it all together in class. After discussing it in a large group though I understood it to mean that the speaker basically wants to love forever or at least love for a little and then "swoon to death". This he related to the star because a star never changes which is what he wants his love to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment