Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Those Winter Sundays"

I thought that the overall tone of this poem was regret. A lot of people disagree and said that it was sort of like suppressed anger that the author had about his father. I don't think this is true because of the first stanza. He says "...then with cracked hands that ached from labor in the weekday weather made banked fires blaze." I thought the fact that the author took the time to say that his fathers hands were cracked and he was in physical pain from his labor showed that the author noticed and wanted the reader to visualize the amount of work the father did. Also, the author ends the first stanza with the sentence "No one ever thanked him." To me it's like he's saying "My dad worked so hard all these years and we never took the time to notice or appreciate it." The last stanza especially solidified my thought because he says "What did i know, what did i know of love's austere and lonely offices?" (I looked up austere just to make sure and it means strict) Therefore I took this poem to be almost a reflection. This man has grown up and finally realized and appreciated his fathers strictness and his hard work that as a child he really couldn't relate to- he was "indifferent" as he says. I liked this poem just because I think a lot of people can apply it to their lives. They don't appreciate what their parents do for them now because they think they are being annoying or overprotective but when they get older they will be thankful that their parents cared so much for them. The central theme of the poem is that as one grows older they learn to appreciate things they didn't notice while they were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment