Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Felt a Funeral, in my Brain

Not gonna lie, this one was kinda creepy. When I first read it I immediately picked up on the idea- this girl is dead and she's talking about what it is like inside the coffin. Weird. But after our large group discussion someone pointed out another way to interpret this poem which i think fits. They said it's almost as if the speaker is going crazy- the mourners then would be the people around her trying to help her and bring her back to reality. One line that really struck me was "My Mind was going numb-" I think the author is trying to tell the reader that she really is losing her train of thought. I think the poem says a lot about who the speaker is: a woman who is slowly becoming delusional and she doesn't realize it until it's too late (question 2). The last stanza, I believe, really supports this thought. it says, "And then a Plank in Reason, broke, And I dropped down, and down- And hit a World, at every plunge, And Finished knowing then". This to me seems like the speaker finally realized (plank of reason) "okay, I'm crazy" but this realization is too much for her to handle and she snaps "broke, And I dropped down, and down.." And that's when her state becomes basically irreversible.

No comments:

Post a Comment