Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Dream Deferred

So, out of all the poems in this unit I would have to say this was my favorite one... And that's not just because it was the shortest and easiest to understand (or so I think), but because when I read it I immediately got the impression that it was written for anyone. To me, the message of the poem was simple "Go for a dream you have as soon as you can. If you wait it could be too late and you will miss out on your opportunity". What I thought was really interesting about this poem was the fact that it was written by Langston Hughes during the Harlem Renaissance so he most likely wrote this for the African American community. Either way, I thought it was a really versatile poem in the way that anyone could apply it to their life. Another thing i liked about the poem was Hughes use of similes to get his point across. Instead of saying something like "you will regret not going for a dream" or "it will always bother you to know that you didn't take that chance" Hughes says "[Does it].. fester like a sore- and then run?" I thought that was a really strong image.

No comments:

Post a Comment