Thursday, September 9, 2010

"The Widows Lament"

The overall tone of this poem seems negative (question8) . Obviously the widow is upset over the loss of her husband. In our small groups a lot of people talked about the flowers symbolizing a funeral. I don't think that is true. When i read this poem it kind of reminded me of my dad. Recently my dad found his best friend dead in his home. Although my dad was very upset over this loss, he distanced himself from the situation. My dad never shows emotion. This reminded me of the poem because the woman lost her husband- someone who was obviously very close to her. It seemed like both my dad and the widow (and anyone else who loses someone close to them) is torn between two thoughts - she wants to run from the pain and the memories (which i thought represented her mind because she says "sorry is my own yard" her yard is her mind because its where she is confined to and she wants to leave because it reminds her of her husband) - but at the same time I think she would feel bad and that is why she says she wants to sink in the marsh and fall in the flowers. She wants to move on and be happy but she doesn't to be happy because she feels bad about losing him and doesn't want to forget him.

No comments:

Post a Comment