Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The End.

"I found myself on Gatsby's side, alone."
It seems like no matter what book it is, I am bound to hate it as long as it is a school assignment. I did not like this novel because I really don't like sad endings. Not one thing ends on a good note. Jordan and Nick break up. Gatsby dies. Myrtle dies. And who knows what the heck happened to Tom and Daisy. I think what upset me most about the entire story was the fact that no one attended Gatsby's funeral besides some crazy owl man and Nick, a man who hardly knew anything about him to begin with. It is so strange to think that people were so interested in his life that they attended his parties and passes along interesting gossip about him, but when it came down to it, no one really knew him or had any type of relationship with him besides Daisy. And even she did not know the full truth about his character. I think this has a lot to do with the theme of the novel. No one really knew or cared to know Gatsby. Those who made an attempt however were deterred by his ambiguity and lies. Gatsby was never able to have a relationship with another person because he never let anyone in. Another reason I did not like the end of this novel is because two people died. In a way though I feel as if they almost deserved it. Both Gatsby and Myrtle were tearing apart Tom and Daisy's relationship. Now that Gatsby and Myrtle are both dead, I believe the Buchanans will finally be able to be content with their marriage to won another.

No comments:

Post a Comment