Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein: Fear of the Monster

"Two years had now nearly elapsed since the night on which he first received life, and was this his first crime?" pg 50.

This is when I really started to feel bad for Victor. At first when he describes the monster he has created I thought that maybe if he had actually taken the time to learn about and study it he might have discovered that he wasn't such a scary creature after all (he shoulda known!). I think what is the most frightening thing about him at first is the uncertainty and not knowing just what he is capable of. This quote really struck me because I had not thought about the possibility before. Victor allowed this eight foot monster to roam freely. It's obvious that Victor felt extreme remorse for what he had caused (especially since it was his own brother who died). However, what is the worst part of the whole incident is that he felt that it was his fault but he had no way of proving Justine's innocence. If he were to explain what he thought to be true, people would consider him crazy. However, I still do not understand why Justine is so nonchalant about the whole thing. She is described as appearing calm and collected in court even though the evidence against her seemed overwhelming. I felt like Elizabeth and Victor cared more about her innocence than she did. Regardless, it is terrible, especially for Victor, to believe that the monster is still lurking out there- able to kill again. Another quote I really liked that manifested Victor's fear and regret for what he had done was, "Alas! I had turned loose into the world a depraved wretch, whose delight was in carnage and misery; had he not murdered my brother?"

No comments:

Post a Comment