Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein: Guilt / Duty

"'I thank you,' he replied, 'for your sympathy, but it is useless; my fate is nearly fulfilled. I wait but for one event, and then I shall repose in peace. I understand your feeling,' continued he, perceiving that I wished to interrupt him: 'but you are mistaken, my friend, if thus you will allow me to name you; nothing can alter my destiny; listen to my history, and you will perceive how irrevocably it is determined.'" pg 13

Thus far, I feel that Victor shows a great sense of guilt for his creation. When he explains to Walton exactly what it was that has caused his life to feel so lonely and depressing he expresses that it is the result of his own actions. In the quote above I believe that Victor feels that he has an obligation to find and kill the monster before any horrific events may occur. Not only does he want to take care of the monster in which he created, but I feel like he also feels a duty and necessity to share his story with Walton. thorough his mistakes he hopes to keep Walton, who like himself is very interested in science, from letting his goal turn to obsession. It was out of obsession and eagerness to do the impossible that Victor forgot about the consequences of his actions. Ultimately his creation led him to live in fear and guilt because he was unsure of what the monster was capable of. He then felt that it was his duty to not only find the monster and finish what he had started, but also to impress upon Walton the importance of not allowing your goals to consume you.

No comments:

Post a Comment