Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein: Conclusion

"Scoffing devil! Again do I vow vengeance; again do I devote thee, miserable fiend, to torture and death." pg 152
If I had read this quote in an earlier chapter, I probably would have assumed it was the words of the monster. Although Victor has desperately wanted to undo his creation and all the consequences that came with it, I don't think there was ever a point in the story that he has been filled with such hatred as he is in the final chapter of the novel. I think after the deaths of his family, best friend, and wife Victor has had enough. But this time he doesn't turn delirious, he simply seeks revenge. The way in which he follows the monster's every move reminded me of the way the monster followed Victor around. It is almost like their roles reversed by the end of the story. Victor, as well as Monty, begin the story as such kind beings. However, the evil natures of humans such as jealousy, shallowness, and revenge overtake them both. For once, I actually really liked a story I read in class because I think this story has a lot of meaning behind it. Although it was clearly not realistic in any way, it revealed the characteristics of humans and how easy it is to succumb to them. One thing I didn't quite understand though is why the monster is so upset at seeing Victor's dead body. Monty spent most of his existence making Victor hate life so much that he would have preferred death. But at the end of the story Monty sort of feels sorry for him. I don't really get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment