Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein: The Monster's tale

"Listen to me Frankenstein. You accuse me of murder, and yet you would, with a satisfied conscience, destroy your own creature. Oh, praise the eternal justice of man! Yet I ask you not to spare me: listen to me; and then, if you can, and if you will, destroy the work of your hands." pg 69

So, in these last couple of chapters the tables sort of turn. Now, rather than feeling guilty for creating the monster, I think Victor starts to feel guilty for fearing him so. The next couple chapters are told from the monster's point of view (Gosh, I really wish it had a name so I didn't have to keep saying "the monster".. but whatever). The monster has become increasingly intelligent (which I find really hard to believe.. but okay). He has spent his days observing other people and trying to determine his place in society. He says, "By degrees I made a discovery of still greater moment. I found that these people possessed a method of communicating their experience and feelings to one another by articulate sounds". So, the monster, by watching this family learned to speak. The monster did not want to reveal himself until he had decided that he completely mastered their language. I did not really like the last couple chapters as much, when Frankenstein finds the monster because I feel like they are not that believable. Although interesting, they sort of took away from the "scary Frankenstein" that we have come to know from Halloween. However, it is pretty interesting that this monster, living on his own, has been able to learn so quickly. It reminded me of the cavemen the way he talked about his discovery of fire. Because the monster did not have anyone to teach him how to live, he had to learn everything on his own or by secretly observing others since he was too afraid to reveal himself to humans.

1 comment: