Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein: The Nature of the Monster

"I asked, it is true, for greater treasures than a little food or rest; I required kindness and sympathy; but I did not believe myself unworthy of it." Pg 94
Alright, so this wasn't as sad as Mr. Costello believed, but it was a little depressing. So, the whole time I am reading Frankenstein I have the image of the Halloween, creepy, zombie-like figure that everyone has seen. Therefore when reading this story I envisioned the monster.. or Monty.. to be an evil being. He obviously does not start out this was as we learned in the previous chapters. However, it isn't until chapter 15 where things really start to go bad. Monty explains that all he has really wanted is some companionship which he is constantly being denied. On of the worst scenes of the novel is the one in which Felix begins to beat Monty because he believes that he is evil. It is somewhat sad that simply because of his appearance he is feared not only by his creator, but by complete strangers as well. All he really wanted was a friend! But, since he was denied that (on multiple occasions) he becomes a creepy, obsessive, stalking murderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment