Friday, August 13, 2010

Bull Fighting

pg 201 "That's it. All for fun. Fun, you understand." I really liked this quote because it summarized my exact feelings. I dont really understand the fascination with bullfighting, and i imagine that many other Americans don't either. It seems so stupid to risk your life for such entertainment. I think Hemingway adds this perspective on purpose. To a lot of people bull fighting is stupid and reckless and dangerous. However, all of the people attending this fiesta dont see it that way at all. These people dont care if they are risking their lives because they are living in the moment. They are happy with life as it is and partying like there is no tomorrow. I truly feel like Bull fighting is not worth risking one's life, but the people in the story make it out to be such a valiant and noble profession. I find it funny how the waiter says its all for fun, because i dont see the fun in being chased around by a bull. That's because it's not for fun- its for honor.

1 comment: