Friday, August 13, 2010

Oxymoron

pg 169 "Romero whatshisname is somebody." I think this statement serves as a sort of oxymoron. I say this because i find it to be very contradictory. Mike, at this point, is speaking very highly of Romero. He says he is somebody- meaning someone of importance. However, what i find to be contradictory is the fact that although Mike supposedly holds him in high respect, he cannot seem to remember his last name. But then it got me thinking, maybe Mike didnt just forget Romero's last name. I think that he was trying to talk him down a little out of jealousy. I say this because Mike mentions the way Brett kept her eyes on Romero during the fight. It's easy to see that Mike is jealous. On the other it is not easy to see whether Mike really has a poor memory for names, or if his jealousy causes him to sort of discredit Romero. I think this oxymoron was used on purpose to draw attention to the fact that yes Romero was a highly respected person, however he was not respected as highly by Mike.

1 comment: