Friday, August 13, 2010

Buying Friendship

pg 237 "If you want people to like you, you have only to spend a little money." This quote stuck out at me for two reasons. First of all because of its obvious shallow nature. I think Hemingway added this to prove that Spain is a much better place than France. The people in spain are more easygoing than that of France. It seems like Hemingway is trying to deliver the message that people in France are somewhat shallow and they base friendships off of money. I think it seems pathetic that Jake admits to over tipping people in order for them to create some sort of false friendship with him. Secondly, this phrase stuck out at me because i dont believe it to be true. Basically what this is saying is that a person can buy friendship. And if that were true then why couldnt Jake or Robert Cohn buy Brett's friendship, the only friendship either of them really values. I dont really understand why Hemingway would include this bit of information into the story other than to show the difference between the people of France from the people of Spain. I dont belive he put any truth behind it.

1 comment: