Friday, August 13, 2010

Cliche

pg 126 "First the chicken; then the egg." This seems like such a cliche. its funny because the men get to talking abbout this ongoing, never ending question because chicken and eggs are both part of their lunch. I just thought it was clever how Hemingway added this into the story. It was sort of a relief to me because i honestly didnt understand half of the stuff that was going on within the story. this cliche seemed to grab my attention. It was even a little comical because it is a debate that people are still discussing almost a century later. Finally, the people in this story talk about something that i could relate to- rather than discussing fishing, drinking, and bull fighting all of which i take not particular interest in. I think this is a cliche because it is a mystery that has been pondered for years and yet no one is ever to answer the question. I like how Hemingway included it to try to gain his readers interest again.

1 comment: