Friday, August 13, 2010

Description

pg 97 "We passes some lovely gardens and had a good look back at the town, and then we were out in the country, green and rolling, and the road climning all the time." Chapter 10 i felt had a great deal of description of the scenery. This sentence is just a short example of why i believe this to be true. ALthough Hemingway seems to invlude a great deal of detail (which i hate: i feel like it takes away from what is happening in the story, makes it too specific and therefore hard for me to visualize, and bores me to death) throughout the novel. I think from this chapter on he really emphasizes the beautiful scenery- and definitely overdoes it. I think he does this because he loves the nature and outdoors fo the places where the characters are traveling. I suspect he described them just as he remembered them from his travels. After all this story is said to have been written after actual events in his life. I almost got the impression that Hemingway preferred Spain because of the beautiful descriptions included within this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment